Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 8-10 (1/20/11, 1/21/11 and 1/24/11 or Mag Madness! Insanity At the Deadline-Seriously)

Thursday, or...It Really Hurts

My eyes hurt. My eyes hurt and my head hurts from my eyes hurting.
That, and there’s a weird lump behind my ear, but I’ll save that for another conversation (with a doctor…).

Other than a plethora of copyediting, there really wasn’t much else to do. I found myself in an epic reading/checking for errors groove that you’d think would make time go by faster.
Alas, that was not to be.

Now, I need some kind of anti-burning-retina solution for my pro-burning-retina situation. CVS, come through for me!

Friday, or Whoa, Nellie's!

Ah, tonight was a good night. Keep in mind it’s pretty late and I just got introduced to the D.C. nightlife, so I’m pretty joyful right now. We went to Nellie’s after work, which was a nice little two story bar that was also a grill, allowing you to drink and eat to your heart’s (and stomach’s) content.

You could eat a drink…if it were frozen (not slushy, but glaciery). That’s a lot of work.

Why would anyone do that?

Moving on…

We (the interns and I) needed some time to get to know one another, especially since the first day was INCREDIBLY AWKWARD


This kind of awkard.

With that thought in mind, we decided to go to said bar, get to know each other, and party it up!

I have a new goal: To try a cranberry vodka in every state, if for no other reason than that it gives me good humour.

D.C.’s cv’s (…teehee) were…strong. At one point (I’m pretty sure I was only on my second one) I commented to the bartender that he was a bit heavy-handed on the vodka. His reply?

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” *proceeds to drown the 3rd of cranberry juice in the cup with vodka*

Yeah.

Let’s just say after 4 of those, I was in a talking mood….and I made friends with most of the bar in the short time that I was there.

Afterward, I went to hang out with Nicole and her girlfriend, who is an artist, and a damn good one. There’s this one painting she did that is of a smiling woman with an afro. The afro is made up of newspaper clippings. I was a bit out of it so I can’t spare the details of what was on the clippings, however, it was a beautiful piece and if I can spare some cash in the near future, I’ll definitely be buying a print of it somehow.

Surprisingly enough, after the night, I actually got back at around 10:30. Well, that could be because we started at 6 and didn’t get too crazy (I was told that after I left the bar, the rest of the interns went to a dance club with free vodka and crazy got crazier. Love it).
Either way, I finally went out and had some fun. Be proud….or something like that.

Monday, or Celebrity Time!

I MET DANIEL HERNANDEZ!!!

That is very awesome. Just saying.

We all (the interns and I) got a picture with him and got to talk to him a little after the
meeting that was held today to pretty much get to know him. Surprising facts:

1.) He’s only 20
2.) His birthday is tomorrow
3.) He and Gabrielle Giffords were pretty much like family in the first place (I teared up a little on that one. Family is nice)

That entire meeting was the highlight of my day. It was also my first official glimpse into all the employees gathered together for a meeting, as well as my first time interacting with all of the interns at the same time in a professional setting. We get along really well, and I hope that it stays that way. I’ve been over drama since 1995, but drama hasn’t gotten the memo.

Will it be different this time?

I sure hope so. I have more important things to focus on.

Anyway,

After the meeting, I spent the day doing some more copyediting and talking to my Thunderdome-mates. The name has stuck.

Successful name change is successful.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go off into my corner and laugh maniacally….while finishing up copyediting work.

No comments:

Post a Comment