Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 3 (1/12/11, or You Know the Manual, and -Now- So Do I)

I think today may have been my most trying day so far. A lot of it was due to reading, and re-reading, and re-re-reading...All in a day's work. No big deal. I did enjoy it. I felt validated every time I found a mistake in the 98 page manual that I had to copyedit (I’ve been mistakenly saying 54. I have no idea how I was that far off) by tomorrow at 10:30 a.m.

This means something. What? Well…

IT MEANS I GOT MY FIRST DEADLINE AS AN EMPLOYEE-TYPE PERSON!

Celebrate with me.

Basically, the manual is the 2010 Equality from State to State Guide on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Americans and State Legislation which will more than likely be released within the coming months.

Because I have to copyedit it (along with someone from outside of the organization who is a professional-thank God), it probably means I’ll be up for a majority of the night because I don’t have my glasses with me, the words are small, and I’m being all meticulous with my (usually not-so)meticulous self.

Because the task at hand took all day, I found myself at my desk in the Thunderdome (formerly iPod) for a majority of the work period. I’ll explain the Thunderdome part in a bit.

I only have to work until 5:30, but I usually leave at around 6-6:30 so I don’t have to pay extra during the rush and because I’m legitimately enjoying myself. I also have a vendetta against the cursed D.C. Exit Fare. Seriously? That’s stupid. I cannot be swayed in this opinion, for I believe it to be fact in my mind’s eye.

I’M TRAPPED UNLESS I PAY. Ridiculous.

Since I was done with everything I had to do other than the manual (I was giving my eyes a break), I decided to formally personalize my desk. In doing so, I remembered my plan to rename the entire cubicle the Thunderdome. Granted, I wasn’t really given permission from the IPod mates, but I don’t think they cared in the first place. With that said, I printed out a picture of Tina Turner in what is arguably her finest role (“Mad Max: Return to Thunderdome”) and taped the picture above my desk, which is the center right of the cubicle. Above it, I printed the words “Welcome to the Thunderdome” and stuck an Equality sticker on it.

Seriously, these stickers are everywhere. I love it.

Then I put a Post-It Note with the words, “Thunderdome (Pod)” over “IPod”, so that there would be no inconsistencies. Just saying.

Then I danced to Teena Marie’s “Square Biz” on my iPod.

After all of that nonsense, it was actually time for me to go, so I got my stuff together, got back to Takoma, and proceeded to dance down the street to the apt…while singing Rick Astley’s “Never Gonna Give You Up”.

You clever, clever iPod, knowing that I would make a fool of myself to such a grand little ditty.

All in all, good day….or was that not obvious?

1 comment:

  1. Haha. I'm smiling so widely for you right now... Someone's enjooooying herself.... *singsong voice*

    <3

    ReplyDelete